01 The Write Elements: Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus by R. L. La Fevers

Wednesday 19 January 2011

Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus by R. L. La Fevers


Image from Shelfari

Honestly if you don't have much of an interest in Egyptology, this book might get you skipping some bits (which are actually interesting to know). If they are facts, I have the drive to read it because coming from a textbook would just make me yawn - eight times in the span of two hours while I did a subject (snore).
Theo is a lot of fun, definitely amusing and entertaining, and I hardly say that about a lot of characters, I like her ways of noticing the tiny details, since she's still young - but with a vast knowledge on removing curses, might I add - but especially when the plot is set in 1907. I like her because she reminds me a bit of me, if she doesn't like someone, she doesn't like someone - unless they prove otherwise.
There are words there that you'd never hear in our century, however it's not ye olde English, so they are still understandable :)
The other characters are not boring at all, it's either a you-love-'em or you-can-tolerate-them moment with each, from learning about Will's abundance in siblings (which Theo actually wonders "[doesn't] anyone in his family have a real name?") to Grandma Throckmorton, who's being kept in the dark is almost making the protagonist tick a little (to ease curiousity :-p I'm just mentioning that Theo is sworn to secrecy and the phrase went through my head 'if grandma only knew..' - read on!).
If you hadn't guessed I've been thinking of this review throughout the book, but I have to say, the ending was brilliant and so.. significant! Loved it all! I can't wait for the fourth book, which most should've known the title by now: Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh

No comments:

Post a Comment