01 The Write Elements: starting the ISLAND trilogy by Gordon Korman - #1 shipwreck

Wednesday 2 October 2013

starting the ISLAND trilogy by Gordon Korman - #1 shipwreck

I'm not sure if I've said this before but I'll say it again. Gordon Korman has got to be one of my favourite authors. I love the ideas he can come up with, and his writing is right up there too. 


I haven't had the time for awhile but now I'm reverting to my fan-with-foam-thumb-waving state of reading his trilogies; and yes I do know once again the age range Is rated "kid" but as I've said once before, boo them. 
In fact, I have visited the YA section and even without looking at the author's name I found a book called "The Juvie Three" and obviously it'd be one of his. Don't you just love it when that happens.


Today I'm posting about the first book, Shipwreck, quite briefly because I don't want to spoil anything. 

There's something about mystery and suspense of being stranded on Islands that appeals to me. Happens for shows - cartoons if you will - too. And I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel this! 

As for this, meeting the dysfunctional (emphasis on that) siblings, a walking Encyclopedia, an athlete (female), richie rich (sadly no pun, his name is J.J.) and a tooooootally regular guy.
I have to admit it isn't my best way of describing them but do any of them really sound like felons? That's my point.
 
So the story begins with the teens being corralled onto a ship, which later is left being "battle scarred" "SS Nix" (lucky sounding, ain't it?), because of the criminal things they have done. Yes of course without a proper verdict, as all good systems do.

So the whole time for weeks they're meant to learn the ropes of what it's like to be at sea. To understand the meaning of discipline, cooperation and respect for the law. (Guess where that came from *rolls eyes*) 

Gordon always writes with such an impact though that you can actually experience it, without actually experiencing it. Obviously most readers won't know what it feels like to cross the ocean that often - minus cruise ships - much less being adrift. 

( Have I said too much? )

It's just so vivid being....afloat? (Is that okay?) *beep* the unending thirst and hope for rain only to have it trickle a few feet away from you. Wow. 
Oh. Never drink salt water, someone learnt that the hard way. I could almost empathise, and it even had me reaching for a whole jug of water. After I read that long portion. Decided to suffer a little for their cause. 

Needless to say, I was hooked completely and right now I have the second book in my hand begging to be read.

And in the background right now is, in fact, "the magic of the big blue" - Nat Geo's programme. The latter's name of which will be mentioned more than frequently in the books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment