01 The Write Elements: A Rotten Apple Book - Mean Ghouls by Stacia Deutsch

Sunday 11 November 2012

A Rotten Apple Book - Mean Ghouls by Stacia Deutsch

Never in my life have I picked up a zom-b story and I was surprised this one peeked my interest enough.

Believe me, my thoughts on them haven't changed. They're icky to the core but I suppose a more junior book will make the yuck factor turn more humorous. I even took to the character Sam, who's digits would fall off on more than one occasion.

I don't know if I would say the storyline was obvious. Of course the main character who discovered she has "zombitus" wouldn't want it AT ALL, mind you, and that's when my somewhat surprise comes in. She was completely resistant to change and she just wanted to return home. And I totally get that.

But there were times when are implacable yet understandable behaviour would hurt her friends and i found the attitude stinking (no pun intended). Then again, she is like twelve; plus it was brilliantly conveyed and if I got irritated, bravo to Miss Deutsch (I even remember how to spell it after seeing it only once. No zombitus here!)

Characters - there must be conflict and the personality types are what's to be expected if you make them clash.

all in all, I was thoroughly amused by this book and Megan's attempt at Nancy Drew-ing. I just wish the ending wasn't as predictable as it usually plays out. It's neither new nor old. At least the author made the mood way lighter, a discerning contrast from the moodiness and stubbornness of... Well, you'll just have to read it.

Interesting book for Halloween, which is when I had intended to read it, but I was pulled away by the oogly-boogly arms of the exams. Which are now over *insert thousand watt smile here*

No comments:

Post a Comment