01 The Write Elements: Haroun and the Sea of Stories lesson 1

Monday 24 December 2018

Haroun and the Sea of Stories lesson 1



I mentioned in my previous blog post of how I was suddenly thrust into reading this story to teach

So in a couple of days I've had to get the analyses and themes ready for class. It's even harder because the book can't be found in local bookstores (Gee, aren't we a literate state...)

With all lessons, I still feel it's my duty to explain more about literature than simply talking incessantly about one book, I say this with some prejudices, since my student really doesn't like it (it's evident in the recording, just wait a few minutes and her griping starts)

Ergo, I planned on starting the lesson by explaining "storytelling", which is essentially what the book is about. It's all one neat cycle. Anyway, that meant looking at what the Hero's Journey is. I did research on archetypal characters but the look on my student's face told me I couldn't go on to that.

As I repeated over and over, which you will hear, it's hard to teach a book if you don't like it 😖

Also, I'll be reviewing the book soon. Watch out for that. Still deciding on what to write 🙂🙃🙂🙃

So we're going to tackle this book by summarising each section of a chapter, along with analysing that, themes, even inferring the characters' traits

Let's listen to chapter 1 and a bit of chapter 2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PS_8q9F9l3arF7G3HVl4wOIiFPPn15Am/view?usp=drivesdk
Credits to the original designer of the photo. It's brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment